Favorite Quote:

  • "Life is short, choose happiness."

A WEEKEND OF HISTORY…FAMILY HISTORY

“Our lives may grow in different directions, but yet our roots remain as one.”
 
This month, I had the opportunity to reacquaint myself with my husband’s family history.  Not just hear about, but literally see, touch, and feel it.  It has been awhile since I have been to the Charles B. Aycock Birthplace Historical Site in Wayne County, NC and we had never gone before with our Little Love.

Charles B. Aycock was known as the “Great Education Governor.” He was the 50th Governor of  North Carolina serving from 1901 to 1905. He was an advocate for the improvement of the state's public school systems and he traveled the country promoting educational causes. He was my husband's great great uncle. 

At the historic site, there is a museum, an old school house, some old farm houses, animals, and barns all open to the public. It has a cemetery where the Governor’s descendants are buried going back to the early 1900’s. That day, I learned more about my husband’s family history as I walked through the quiet halls of the museum… and CHERISHED every minute of it! I stood there for awhile, taking it all in, and thinking about how this is now my daughter’s family history as well.
 
I remember my own grandfather spending years working on a binder laying out my family history. He called people all over the country, sending out letters, requesting information, and gathering what he could. A few of us were recipients of these special binders he created. But my husband’s history was carefully preserved and laid out for all to see. What an AMAZING GIFT!
 

click on Read More
 
In addition to the historical site, my brother and sister-in-law took us to one of their properties. It was a maze of overgrown bamboo, but in the end, the reward would be great.  A BARN! But not just any old barn, the barn their grandparents owned going back to the early 1900’s. If you can’t tell, I LOVE all things history.
The old barn was such a beauty even in its dilapidated state. My sister-in-law told me stories about her grandparents staying there. We analyzed an old school chair and something I just had to have…a  6 pane wooden window frame. I will fix it up and use it at our house as an art piece…a way of keeping a little of their history with us. 

It was a WONDERFUL day with my family! 
 
"Generations pass like leaves fall from our family tree. Each season new life blossoms and grows benefiting from the strength and experience of those who went before."

 



 




For more information on the Birthplace:

Contact Us
Aycock Birthplace
264 Governor Aycock Road
Fremont, NC 27830 Phone: (919) 242-5581
Email:
aycock@ncdcr.gov

Hours of Operation

Tuesday - Saturday 9 am - 5 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday


 






















No comments:

Post a Comment