Favorite Quote:

  • "Life is short, choose happiness."

Simple dinner with a new marinade & my favorite vegetable...bok choy!

Today, I needed to create an easy & quick dinner. After recovering from my daughter's birthday weekend that included some unhealthy food, I needed to get our family back on our nightly dinner routine of meat, a vegetable and starch.  I had very little time but wanted to cook something delicious.  Tonight's menu: Chicken, brown rice, and bok choy!
Brown Rice
Cook the  rice first as this takes the longest. I am a big fan of most organic brown rice.  
Chicken
I marinated boneless chicken breasts with my new find at Trader Joes...Soyaki Sauce! It is a teriyaki sauce and marinade for meat, poultry, fish, tofu, and vegetables. It contains fresh garlic, fresh ginger and preservative-free soy sauce. It is DELICIOUS! I took the chicken and marinated it for a few hours in zip lock bags earlier in the day. I used a large skillet pan and cooked the chicken on medium heat with the marinade. I added a little extra sauce from the jar (I had plenty left) . I cooked it until the chicken was done.

Bok Choy
This may be my favorite vegetable to eat! You can find Bok Choy at most grocery stores. In my case, I found it at my local Publix. For those of you not familier with it, it is an Asian cabbage. It is popular in the China, Vietnam and the Phillippines. Bok choy is very low in calories and a rich source of phyto nutrients, vitamins, and health benefiting anti-oxidants. There are 9 calories in a cup of bok choy and no sugars and fats. It is a significant source of vitamins A, C and K.  

Click on read more...
After I cooked the chicken, I used the same pan to cook the bok choy in. 
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 garlic gloves minced
8 cups of fresh bok choy
2 tablespoons of reduced salt soy sauce
Ground pepper to taste
Heat oil in the skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a minute. Add bok choy and soy sauce. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until greens are wilted and stalks are crispy tender. Season to taste with pepper. 
By the time you finish the chicken and bok choy, you still may have about ten minutes left on your rice, depending on how much you cooked (I cooked two cups). My daughter loved that I put the extra sauce from the cooked soyaki chicken on her rice. 

***Product review on the Soyaki. 
If you like teriyaki and ginger, this is the marinade for you! It was extremely TASTY and I would love to try it with vegetables as well. The only downside for me on the sauce is that it is VERY HIGH in sodium. But other wise, this is a great weekend marinade treat and a major time saver!    

Happy cooking and eating!   

No comments:

Post a Comment